Gnomes are small folk imbued with the wilding power of illusion and misdirection. They are inveterate burrowers, often seeking hilly lands where gems and precious metals may be found. On average, they are shorter and slimmer of build than dwarfs, with larger noses and longer beards.
Like dwarfs, who are perhaps related to gnomes from some time in the distant and mythical past, gnomes are quite resistant to magic and sensitive to the nuances of construction. Gnomes can live to an age of 650 years or more.
Summary of Gnomish Racial abilities:
- +1 bonus per 3.5 points of Con to saves against magic and poison
- +1 to hit kobolds and goblins
- -4 to attack rolls by bugbears, giants, gnolls, ogres, ogre mages, titans, and trolls.
Common, dwarfish, gnomish, goblin, halfling, kobold. Gnomes may communicate with any normal burrowing animal. They may not learn more than two additional languages to those listed, regardless of intelligence.
Within ten ft, a gnome can detect certain facts concerning engineering, stonework, etc. Although no significant time is required, the character must deliberately observe his or her surroundings (i.e., the player must state that the gnome is using this particular talent in order to gain information).
- Detect the existence of slopes or grades: 80%
- Detect the existence of unsafe wall, ceiling, fl oor: 70%
- Determine depth underground: 60%
- Determine direction of north underground: 50%
Multi-classed gnomish characters may wear only leather armour, no better.
Permitted Class Options:
Assassin, Cleric, Fighter, Illusionist, Thief, Fighter/Illusionist, Fighter/Thief, Illusionist/Thief
- Cleric: 300 + 3d12
- Fighter: 60+5d4
- Magic User: 100+2d12
- Thief: 80+5d4
Minimum/Maximum ability scores (after adjustment for race);
if the ability scores rolled do not fall within these limits, then the race of gnome is not a valid choice for the character:
- Strength: 6/18
- Dexterity: 3/18
- Constitution: 8/18
- Intelligence: 7/18
- Wisdom: 3/18
- Charisma: 3/18
- Assassin: 8
- Cleric: 7
- Druid: N/A
- Fighter: 6 (Str 18), 5 (Str 17 and below)
- Illusionist: 7 (One of Dex or Int 18+ and the other 17+), 6 (Dex and Int 17), 5 (Dex or Int under 17)
- Magic: User N/A
- Paladin: N/A
- Ranger: N/A
- Thief: Unlimited